Sunday, March 29, 2015

Week 10 Famous Last Words



Where do I start? This week started off fast and then flew into overdrive. Monday I had projects due for design classes. Tuesday was the same. WEDNESDAY… woke up, knew there was a chance of severe weather… got home from class and took a nap. Then my boyfriend came over to do laundry and get free dinner. We grilled out. Grilled chicken, rice and a baked potato were what filled my plate.  Had the news on to keep an eye on the weather.  Then they announced a possible tornado on the ground on NE 12th in OKC. It wasn’t in OKC it was NW 12th in Moore and headed right for my neighborhood. My dad started to walk on the porch because we hadn’t determined that they mean Moore yet and as we gathered by the door we could see the debris cloud. My dad then said “Go!” so we would all go to the shelter. I had two of the 3 cats in their crates…but one was still asleep on his perch out of reach. I had to leave him in the house. I’ll include a sad drawing/ diagram of the set up of our house. 


To get to the shelter we had to go from the living room, though the kitchen, into the laundry room and lastly into the garage to get in the storm shelter. By the time that happened it was practically on top of us. I was first, then my mom, boyfriend and my dad. I took two steps into the garage and the garage door fell in. I flipped back around and retraced my steps into the laundry room, screaming and paralyzed with fear. My boyfriend then gave me a push to get me to go ahead and get in the shelter. We were in there maybe 3 minutes before it was over and then the sirens went off.
(Personal Photo: Boyfriends Car March 2015)

(Personal Photo: House March 2015)

 


(Personal Photos: Dads car) 


(Personal Photo: My parents and David Payne) 

Our house was the luckiest one on the street. I have been astounded by the outpouring support we have received from the community and such. A news 9 truck came that night and stayed on our street and used their lights to help us start cleaning up. Which was amazing because there were houses a street over that had lost their entire roofs. My dad got interviewed by David Payne and has been talking about it ever since. I need to take a moment and give a huge Thank you to my boyfriend because if he hadn’t been here that night I would have been hysterical. He was able to keep me calm by just being there and never moving out of my sight.  His car that was less then a year old was totaled. He wasn’t even upset by it, he was just glad he was here because he would have been a nervous wreck if he wasn’t. He practically cleaned up our entire front yard on his own. I will never be able to thank him enough. By the way…he thought my hysterical scream was the wind. On a final note I think he is a keeper.

(Personal Photo: Boyfriend and Dutchess)


(Personal Photos: Neighbors House)
-Shelly

No comments:

Post a Comment