Sunday, February 1, 2015

Storybook Styles

For my storybook project I am definitely interested in doing the animals. Specifically Hanuman and Sampati. I am interested in using stories of the two from Bucks Ramayana and Narayan K. Ramayana. My question is are we allowed to make up our own stories for the characters for at least one of the stories? I would like to create my own original adventure for the characters. Like maybe one of them adopts a pet or goes on vacation.

First Person Storytelling is definitely an option for me. I really enjoy writing in the style.  I can definitely see how stories being told in this style could be monotonus, with no real dialog.  I think there is something special about getting to hear a characters inner thought while on a journey or accomplishing a task.

I also found the notion of Diary style interesting, which might be something to try. I would like to look into this style a little more before fully committing because I think this might be tough from an animal’s perspective. I need to look into the examples for this but I think I have a good idea of how it could be done.
(Dear Diary: Ken Banks)


Letter writing style also interested me because it can include back and forth dialog. Like what if Hanuman was texting another character as he went to find Sita!  No big deal…crossed the ocean as a giant. Found Sita, fought some demons. The usual.  I personally think that would be really interesting. Wonder if I could do it from a facebook post type of format…or twitter...would that be diary style then?! I think both those styles would add some modern flair to the stories.

The last style I like was I remember when style.  I think that would be a great way to tell a story. Especially if you told the story like it was being passed from one generation to another. Take the story to a dream like/reminiscent state to retrace their steps on a journey or significant moment.  


I believe all these styles would bring in a new element of interest to the stories. There are several directions these styles could bring as well. I can’t wait to do more research and get started writing!

1 comment:

  1. I really like these ideas you have. I might have to borrow one sometime. I definitely think that the diary style is awesome, but I too have a curiosity about the texting aspect. My only problem is how would one go about doing that? I thought about it for a while and all the ideas I had were just too long. Definitely think that it is wroth looking into or trying out for the future. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete