Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Week 12 Storytelling : Damayanti's journey.

Its been days since Nala I have seen Nala. I woke with only half the robe. I just know he wouldn’t abandon me. I really just wish he had left those dice alone. Maybe we would still be in our lovely palace, rather than roaming the forest.  I’ll keep searching for him.

Today, the Asectices  advised me to go home to my father. I can’t, I must find Nala. I will look everywhere.

I’m still alone today. All I can think about is Nala trying to catch those birds. It still makes me laugh. I needed something to make me smile…at least I have that. He tried to sneak up on them like a cat… to bad he couldn’t step quietly even if his life depended on it. He then tried to use the robe to drape over him as they pecked that ground. I sat under a tree, wrote in my journal and watched. After a few hours he paraded over to me empty handed. He looked defeated. I held his hand and he explained that the largest of the birds flew off with his robe. I assured him, we could share mine. That was two nights before I woke up without him.
(Journaling: Emma Larkins)
Its been two days since my last entry. I have happened upon a traveling caravan. I hope I can figure out where they are heading. Maybe I will find Nala along the way. I just hate being alone…that’s why I am going to follow them!

They are headed to the kindom of Chedi. I have never been there…but there is a first time for everything. We head out in the next few minutes. I don’t know anyone from the caravan. I hope this isn’t a mistake. Maybe I should have gone home to my father. My father would have probably helped me find Nala.


It’s the next day. We are no where near Chedi yet. I miss Nala so much my body is aching. My chest is tight and I just need his hand to hold or hug. Who knew this would be so hard. I’m not alone, but I feel so alone.  I guess you could say I am homesick. Homesick for something that is familiar, or routine.  I probably should have just gone home. Something doesn’t feel right and I can’t pinpoint what is wrong. We will be in Chedi in about two days.

Author's Note: I wanted to expand the story of Nala and Damayanti. I had no idea what path this story would take as I wrote. I just started typing and this is what happened. 

5 comments:

  1. I like the approach you took with this story. Reading journal entries are a great way to get you into the mind of the character which is why I did my Storybook project from journals!! That is sad that she woke up without Nala. A lot more people that you realize really hate being alone! However, if I were in a forest I’d probably be the same way. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelly!

    I think choosing to write a journal entry is the best way to describe a character's personality, thoughts, and opinions. It allows you to focus on that one character so much. It's one of my favorite styles of storytelling.I chose to write on Nala and Damayanti as well. I had a complete different idea in mind before I began writing and it just completely changed as I was typing.Great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly,

    It sounds like your story this week might be a journal entry. Love the creativity! Maybe if each section was dated, that would clarify the journal (if that is what you are going for)! I liked how infatuated Damayanti is with Nala. You emphasized that really well.

    One other suggestion is to elaborate more on your author’s note. Maybe include a summary of the story.

    Also, I think you may have a typo in your first sentence, but I’m not positive.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Shelly! Writing a story as journal entry is a great and was perfect for getting into Damayanti's mind. It's so obvious that Damayanti is crazy about Nala even though she hasn't met him. I think to document the start of journal entries better would help dividing the story into the separate days. Not having obvious broken up dates throws the flow off a little bit, but overall it's not bad! Great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, this was a cool idea! I didn't even think of writing from Damayanti's perspective when Nala left her. I love how you wrote this in a way, the only thing I would suggest is to have dates like an actual journal entry because that would make it look more like one, but good job overall!

    ReplyDelete